When do your classes meet?
The vast majority of our classes are held on weeknights, beginning at 7 PM. Select classes are also available on weekends.
Where are your classes held?
Because we are a working comedy theater with shows every night, most of our classes are not held on our stage. We use a handful of nearby rental spaces, all of which are just a short walk away. Class shows usually take place at our theater.
Why should I study improvisational, sketch, or stand up comedy?
• To improve your confidence with public speaking
• To reconnect with your creative, spontaneous side
• If you’re a performer, to increase your skill set and your marketability
• To be a part of great community
• To have fun!
Why should I take classes at your theater?
• Quality: Our theater is steeped in the traditions of Chicago, the mecca for longform improvisation. The instructors we work with have been performing and teaching for many years, and are committed to creating a home for individuals and ensembles to flourish.
• Class Size: Classes at the Westside have (depending on the course) a maximum of 12-16 students. This is the lowest in the business.
• Performances: Almost all of our 6-8 week classes end with a graduation showcase, giving you stage time in our theater.
• Value: We offer some of the most affordable training in comedy in the Los Angeles area. We invite you to compare.
Sorry, we don't allow outside visitors in class. Class is a space for people to push their boundaries, experiment, and sometimes fail. Having outside observers in class works against the safe creative atmosphere that we have worked hard to cultivate.
Can I just pay for the first meeting of class and see if I like it?
No. Our classes are six-eight weeks long and are packaged as a unit. We do not sell individual class sessions.
What is your philosophy of improv?
We believe that at its core, good improvisation is a series of choices and discoveries made by an ensemble of committed, emotional players all supporting one another. We seek to create great improv by realizing the potential of the group.
Where can I get a sample of your style of comedy?
Feel free to check out some shows at our theater. We recommend the Grind on Thursday nights at 10 PM (which features the owners and management of the Westside), and our House Team shows Monday nights starting at 8 PM (which are made up of graduates and faculty of our Training Center).
If you’re interested in stand up, check out the Neal Brennan & Friends show every Tuesday at 8 PM. If you want to try getting up on stage, we offer two open mics, on Tuesday nights and Saturday evenings
Our house sketch teams currently perform on the second and fourth Wednesdays starting at 8 PM.
We do NOT offer refunds for purchased classes (unless the class is cancelled by the theater). Students who drop out before the class begins are entitled to a credit for a future class, pending availability.
What is your policy on refunds?
Do you offer any internship programs?
We do offer some internships, in the form of volunteering at the theater as daytime or nighttime staff. At the moment, we do have a waitlist for internship positions. If you’re interested in interviewing for a spot, please use our Contact page to drop a line to our House Manager Byron Kennerly.
Great! Please contact our Directors of Education Annie & Levin O'Connor using our Contact page or give us a call at (310) 451-0850.
If you purchased through Coursehorse, then our Refund & Cancellation policy applies to your purchase. If you are entitled to a refund, or have any questions, please contact CourseHorse here..